<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Fans pack mall for members of Buckeye title team 

Fans pack mall for members of Buckeye title team - zanesvilletimesrecorder.com

ZANESVILLE -- Hundreds of Ohio State fans came to Colony Square Mall on Saturday to buy Ohio State memorabilia and purchase autographs from former OSU standouts Mike Doss, Craig Krenzel and Ben Hartsock, each a key player on OSU's 2002 national championship team.

"It's pretty exciting for me," said 18-year-old Keith Thieman, of Marietta, sporting a Doss jersey. "I've always went to games, but never met them before."

Lisa Ware of Newark picked up the autographs as a surprise first anniversary present for her husband Edward. Their anniversary is today.

Rod Van Allen of Zanesville brought his elementary school sons Josh and Jacob and their friend Josh Franks for the signings.

"(My son) Josh has an Ohio State room, and I thought we'd bring his Ohio State football and come get some signatures. The players are all very friendly and very personable," Rod Van Allen said.

"I think it's awesome," Josh Van Allen said of getting to meet the former Buckeyes now in the NFL.

"I was really pumped for this," said Brady Warden of Zanesville. "Mike Doss is my favorite player; Krenzel and Hartsock are just an added bonus."

For Ohio State fan B.J. Smith of Nashport, Saturday was an opportunity to talk with the former Buckeyes, and get autographs for herself and friends.

"I've been a Buckeye fan all of my life," she said. "The line was (very long) earlier. That shows how much we appreciate them."

Smith attended all but one of Ohio's State football games in 2002 and every OSU contest in 2003.

Don Dogwiler of WHIZ, coordinator of the event, was pleased with a turnout of an estimated 200 to 300 fans who purchased player photo autographs.

"I thought we had a very good turnout," said Dogwiler, who noted the event was set up just three weeks ago. "For Zanesville to have three NFL players in town is pretty special. That may never happen again. I'm thrilled with it, and I'm looking forward to the next one."

Ohio State seniors Dustin Fox, Lydel Ross, Simon Fraser and Bam Childress are scheduled to sign at Colony Square Mall on Saturday, March 19.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?