<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Alou happy to oblige hollering Cubs fans  

Daily Herald

MESA, Ariz. - Moises Alou strode into HoHoKam Park Saturday and was headed to the San Francisco Giants' side of the field. That was until a vocal group of Cubs fans drew him over to the home dugout to sign autographs.

Alou stood and signed for about 15 minutes before heading down the tunnel to the Cubs' clubhouse. There, he renewed acquaintances with players before finally heading over to join his new team.

"It was very flattering and a thrill," Alou said after coming out of Saturday's game, won by the Cubs 8-2. "I'm still one of their favorites."

The Cubs chose not to re-sign Alou after last season, even after he hit 39 homers and drove in 106 runs. Although Alou said he missed being with the Cubs, he was emphatic in saying he would not have accepted a one-year offer to come back. With the Giants, he got two years and $13.25 million.

"To tell you the truth, I don't really know the truth," he said. "If they (the Cubs) wish I was still here, I would still be here. We could have worked on a deal. I understand the business of the game. Unfortunately, I've been part of it everywhere I've been."

Like Christmas: Joe Borowski reported success from Friday's simulated outing and proclaimed himself ready to pitch Monday against the Rangers in Surprise.

Borowski couldn't have been happier, a fact not lost on either him or manager Dusty Baker.

"Actually, Bake walked in early and asked me, 'When are you throwing?'æ" Borowski said. "I said Monday and had a big smile on. He said, 'Yeah, you got a big smile on your face.' It's exciting. I'm looking forward to it."

Borowski hasn't faced big-league hitters since last June, when a rotator-cuff injury put him on the disabled list for the rest of the season.

Stretching it out: Even though he has been talked about as the closer, Ryan Dempster said Saturday he may throw 5-6 innings in a game before spring training is over.

Dempster was impressive Saturday, striking out three in 2 perfect innings.

"What I care about is us winning," Dempster said. "Whatever role is best for our team to win, that's all I care about. I really do. I've never been to the playoffs. If me being a setup guy or a closer or a starter helps us win ballgames, that's all I care about."

If Joe Borowski continues to throw well, he'll likely regain the closer's job. Dempster could open the season as the fifth starter, with lefty Glendon Rusch moving to the pen. Or Rusch could be the fifth starter, with Dempster being a reliever and swingman.

Roster moves: The Cubs outrighted left-handed pitcher Carlos Vasquez to Class AA West Tenn and optioned lefty Renyel Pinto to Class AAA Iowa. Pinto was a late arrival to camp because visa problems hampered his exit from Venezuela.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?