<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Early riser gets the autographEarly riser gets the autograph
Tuesday, July 06, 2004
By Erin L. Boyle
eboyle@sjnewsco.com
PHILADELPHIA -- Sadie E. Henderson got up at 4 a.m. Monday, drove to the National Constitution Center here at 5 a.m., and waited seven hours in the hot sun.

For one purpose: To meet former president Bill Clinton.


Henderson, of Franklinville, got her wish. After Clinton took part in an hour-long "constitutional conversation" in the center's Grand Hall Lobby with Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne Jr., answering questions from both Dionne and the audience, he signed his new book "My Life" for the 1,500 people who attended the reservations-only event.

Henderson, 31, was among them. She said the experience was well worth the wait and the heat.

"He signed my book and shook my hand. It was so exciting," she said. "I told him, 'Thank you for all you've done for the country.' He's really down to earth."

Clinton arrived with his trademark lateness, nearly two hours after the event was scheduled to begin at noon. He said he had a good defense: He left his house on time Monday morning but learned en route that Long Island was "fogged over" and his plane delayed. He then drove to Philadelphia.

Before he arrived Dionne, Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell, and Rick Stengel, president and CEO of the National Constitution Center, shared Clinton anecdotes. Rendell said when Clinton was president, he learned the three "great American lies" were "the check is in the mail, I'll love you in the morning, and President Clinton is five minutes away." Rendell called Clinton a political genius who understood and responded to everyone during his presidency, including minority groups that other politicians ignored.

"I think, as time goes on, he will go down as one of the more effective presidents of the country," Rendell said.

When Clinton finally arrived at the National Constitution Center at 1:30 p.m., he spoke with Dionne about topics ranging from health care to religion and terrorism. He said 9/11 caused a "deep painful wound" in the country and he regretted not destroying key terrorism groups before leaving office.

"I really wanted to get Bin Laden and break the al-Qaeda network, and I was really disappointed when I didn't," he said.

Clinton also responded at length to several questions posed by audience members and read by Dionne regarding his impeachment hearings. He said the hearings occurred because of his own mistakes and the actions of right-wing Republicans who were bent on ousting him from office.

"You ought to try being president sometime and see how you like it," Clinton said. "I'm weary of people saying I am responsible for the mistakes of other people. They were adults, too. I am ashamed to this day for the personal mistakes I made, but I am proud I stood up to them because you would be worse off if it wasn't for those eight years."

He said while he most likely revealed more of his own personal mistakes in "My Life" than most politicians, he also omitted negative information about others.

"I left out lots of stuff I could have put in because I didn't want to be a hypocrite and I don't like those kind of politics," he said.

After the hour-long conversation, Clinton signed book after book, greeting each person with a smile, greeting, and handshake.

Because lineup at the event was first come, first serve, Henderson said she arrived as early as she could to ensure her copy of "My Life" got signed. As she waited outside, she read from Clinton's 957-page book. She said she looked forward to having her own signed copy.

"It's something that you show to your family," she said, "and keep for your children."


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?