<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

NBA.com: LeBron Goes Inside

April 21 -- After Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James was named got milk? Rookie of the Year for 2003-04, he joined Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson for a live interview during halftime of Game 2 of the New Jersey-New York first-round series.

Ernie: "LeBron James only the third rookie, joining Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan, to average 20 points, five rebounds and five assists. Looks good on the resume. The top pick in the draft is the got milk? Rookie of the Year."

Charles: "I could have got them numbers if they put me in the game."

Ernie: "The 19-year-old LeBron James joins us now live from New York. LeBron, congratulations. Let me ask you something. You know there is a lot of debate about whether this award should go to you or Carmelo Anthony, who is your good buddy. He's in the playoffs, you're the Rookie of the Year. Would you swap?"

LeBron: "You know to tell you truth, I would. It's kind of heartbreaking, you know watching all these games and not being a part of it. You know, I would swap the Rookie of the Year award to be in the playoffs."

Magic: "Hey, this is Magic, LeBron. First, congratulations. I lost out to Larry Bird my rookie year. I know I was disappointed. What would you say to Carmelo right now because you are friends. What would you tell him?"

LeBron: "To tell you the truth, I really thought it was going to be co-Rookie of the Year. I think I did my part and you know Carmelo really had a sensational season. He played beyond what I thought he might play and I think he played beyond where he thought he was going to play also. To get it unanimously was really a shock to me, but you know my support is with Carmelo the whole way. I've been talking to him through the playoffs and everything, so he knows that I'm behind him all the way."

Charles: "Well, LeBron. Number one, congratulations. I thought it should have been co-Rookies of the Year also. Let me ask you this. They started you out at the point. I think eventually they're going to put you at the three and leave you there. What do you think is your best position?"

LeBron: "I think you said it. The two guard or the three, the small forward, would be the best position for me. You know, I think Paul Silas really, you know, he set it up perfect for me. He gave me the opportunity and I was able to take advantage of it. Wherever it is the Cleveland franchise needs me to be, the next couple of years for us to progress, I think I'll be there for the taking."

Kenny: "Congratulations, again. This is Kenny, LeBron. One of the things that you guys went through this year were a lot of changes and a lot of different personalities coming in and out. Next year, you're the Rookie of the Year. You're basically the franchise player. You might have a say in what we need next year for the Cleveland Cavaliers to get over the hump. What would be your input?"

LeBron: "Tell you the truth, the Jet. If you really looked at our team this year, we had a lot of guys that could penetrate and get to the hole very easily. You know we had two dominating inside forces with Carlos (Boozer) and Z (Ilgauskas). I think what we really need like you had in Houston, the Jet, and what Chuck had in Phoenix and in Philly and what Magic had when he was with the Lakers, is a guy that can stretch the defense when I penetrate and when Jeff McInnis penetrates. And add me a three-point shooter you know."

Charles: "How big an influence was Chubby Silas?"

LeBron: "I think he was a big influence. Once again, he gave me an opportunity. You know, Paul Silas stresses it, if you're going to go out and produce for him, he's going to play you. And that's all I needed to hear because pretty much I knew I could play this game of basketball. I just needed an opportunity and he was able to give it to me."

Magic: "You did everything this year. What do you feel you have to improve on next year to improve?"

LeBron: "I think. It's a lot in my game. I think from the beginning of the year to the end of the year, I improved my jumpshot a lot. But, I think I want to improve it a lot this summer. Lateral movement. I want to be one of the best defenders in the league, also. Because that could create fast breaks for our team and that's when we are at our best."

Ernie: "LeBron James, congratulations from all of us here as the got milk? Rookie of the Year. Well deserved and we look forward to more of the same in the years to come in the NBA."

LeBron: "Thanks, Ernie."

Magic: "And keep smiling man."

LeBron: "I will, Magic. You taught me that."

Ernie: "He's the master."



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?